Please see our resources below to help you advocate humane migration related policies to your local lawmaker:
USCCB Committee on Migration Recent Action on Immigration & Refugee Bills & Issues: A quick reference for the migration and human trafficking-related bills the Bishops’ have supported and opposed in recent months
How to Use the JFI Appropriations Toolkit
- The toolkit is to be broken down and the various parts of it are to be used individually to help you facilitate your meeting.
- There is a section for setting up a meeting with your federal lawmaker; another section with an introduction and talking points for your meeting, as well as leave behinds for the four issues we are working on:
- enforcement (DHS);
- vulnerable populations (HHS);
- root causes (SFOPs); and
- immigration courts (CJS)
- These requests are the “two-pagers” of specific information for our appropriations asks for each issue and committee. The two-pagers are to be left behind with your lawmaker or their staff member so that they have our requests in writing.
- Read the one-pagers prior to your meeting as well as the talking points. The talking points will be your script for the meeting.
- Refer to the appropriate one-pager if you are asked questions about the funding requests. If your one-pager does not have the answer you are looking for, don’t worry- you can simply offer to follow up and contact JFI staff to help you send a response back to your lawmaker or their staff. (This will give you an opportunity for follow up!)
- Wait until after you have presented your talking points before handing over the packet of two-pagers.
- Offer to send electronic versions of the two pagers as a follow up.
- Report to JFI about your visit!